Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Journal 1

New Orlean’s Finest

Yep, that’s me. Montoine Howard. My daddy left my mama when I was just a little thing and Mama died when I was 3. So Granny had to raise me ‘til I was finally old enough to understand what happened to my parents. After that, I was headed down south to New Orleans.

I was about 8 when I started smokin’ like you saw in my picture. Had to raise myself and grow up real fast, so I guess I felt the need to start doin’ adult stuff. I’ve even got a job in this jazz band. They all real nice and gave me a place to stay. I got to shake an’ rattle a tambourine and sing my little ol’ heart out whenever we got to play. One time, Granny almost found me. I had to run off real quick and hide behind the giant speakers we have to carry around to all our gigs. I don’t think she saw me, but who knows?

Every once an’ a while, I get to dress up real pretty and go out to this things called a beauty pageant, where all these other pretty girls dress up too. Everybody always calls me “real pretty”, or “the belle of the ball” with my “sky blue eyes” and “southern brown curls”. And they all like to pinch my cheeks and talk about my “baby doll smile” like I’m not even there. This one time at the pageant thing, I got into real big trouble. One of those big dumb blonde street rats named Gwen started talkin’ ‘bout my mama and I got hot. Like hot as that pepper stuff they put on the crawfish down at Bubba’s Fish Shack. I’m guessin’ y’all want to know how it went, so here’s my story:

No comments:

Post a Comment